Thursday, September 15, 2011

The Black Market

Since we've been here in Peru we hear people talk about the "black market" this is where all the stolen stuff gets brought to and resold.  People say that if you get something stolen from you that this is where you go to find and buy it back!  This week I got the opportunity to go - per recommendations - I didn't bring anything except for a bit of money in my pocket (I even hid an emergency credit card in my undergarment just in case I got pick-pocketed and I was destitute).  So here is what I imagine...

A dark alley with mysterious men sauntering about wearing large black jackets - inside which are numerous rolex watches, diamond rings, and gold jewelry, dangling from the inside.  You approach them be saying something like, "how has business been lately?" and then you negotiate a price using code words.  Very Hollywood!

Here is what it actually was...
A couple rows of shops with non-criminal-looking people selling used crappy cell phones.

What a let down!  Not once did I feel unsafe or fear for my possessions--after all the hype I feel a bit ripped off!!  The most excitement I had was getting over-charged for a couple of children's books in Spanish - not quite the adventure I was looking for.

In other news Dan and I are progressing with our Spanish lessons--we can actually hold a conversation, provided the other person is speaking slowly and using simple words :)  Also we are going on a white-water rafting trip this weekend and are pretty jazzed cause neither one of us has ever done this before.  Good times will be had and pictures will be posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment